Nancy S. Williamson joined Gleason, Dunn, Walsh & O’Shea in November of 2018. She previously served as the General Counsel at The College of Saint Rose in Albany, New York. Her earlier positions included serving as the Senior Vice President and General Counsel at University of Maryland University College (UMUC) in Adelphi, Maryland, where she was in the Office of Legal Affairs for 15 years. Before joining UMUC, Ms. Williamson was a Claims Counsel at United Educators and a Staff Attorney at The Johns Hopkins University.
Ms. Williamson advises on a wide range of labor and employment issues including harassment and discrimination, new hires and terminations, collective bargaining agreements, grievances, and immigration. In addition, she drafts and revises employee handbooks and policies to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Ms. Williamson has conducted numerous internal investigations of harassment and discrimination in the workplace and has handled many of charges of discrimination filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state and local agencies. In addition, Ms. Williamson conducts training on harassment and discrimination, compliance, and workplace behaviors.
In addition to labor and employment, Ms. Williamson advises on education matters, contracts, trademarks, and compliance.
- Employment Law
- Labor Law
- Administrative Law
- Higher Education Law
- United States District Court, Northern District of Maryland
- J.D., Cum Laude, University of Baltimore School of Law, 1995
- B.A., The American University, 1992
- Maryland State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Albany County Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (1999-2018)
Selected Lecturer/Speaking Engagements
- November 7, 2013, Co-Presenter – National Association of College and University Attorneys, Title IV of the Higher Education Act: Complying with Rules while Watching the Regulatory Horizon
- December 4, 2012, Co-Presenter – Education Advisory Board, COE Forum, Ask the Expert Panel on Federal Financial Aid Issues
- October 26, 2012, Presenter – Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, State Authorization Regulation and the Impact on Distance Education Courses and Placement of Students in Clinical Rotations
- October 10, 2012 – Co-Presenter – University Professional Continuing and Education Association (UPCEA) Mid-Atlantic Conference, Panel on Implications of Federal Regulations on Distance Education, Gainful Employment, Credit Hours, Financial Aid Fraud, MOOCs, and Accreditation
- November 11, 2011 – Co-Presenter – National Association of College and University Attorneys, Legal Ethics and the Role of Counsel in Compliance
- August 15, 2011, Co-Presenter – Sloan-C 17th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, Pre-Conference Workshop, Online Learning Forum Session entitled, “State Authorization: Out of the Woods and Into the Forest?”
- October 22, 2010, Keynote Speaker – University System of Maryland Women’s Forum Conference entitled “Beyond Sisterhood – Enlightened Women of the 21st Century”
Adjunct Faculty Member
- The College of Saint Rose – Higher Education Law (Summer 2017)
- University of Maryland University College – Legal Ethics, Advanced Legal Research, Employment Law for Business, Principles and Strategies of Successful Learning, and Negotiation Strategies (2002-2014)